Let us compare a large software system to a group report in school.
Here are the quality requirements for your school report:
- Perfect Grammar
- Perfect Spelling
- Zero Logical Fallacies
- Zero Typos
- Consistent Voice
- Adheres to the Style Guide (e.g. MLA, APA, or Chicago)
Here are some of the facts of the report:
- It is over 1000 pages long.
- You only wrote 10% of it while the other 90% was written by others.
- It was written and edited over the course of several years.
- A new Style Guide is chosen every few months.
- The teacher changes the report’s topic every month.
- Instead of one due date, the report is re-graded every few weeks.
- New sections are required for every grading.
- After every grading, old sections are returned with edit notes that must be applied.
Easy or Hard? 😛
And of course, we cannot forget this concept: